The Neptune trophy was presented to the Royal Northern Yacht Club on the 21st of June 1890 by James Coats jun. as a trophy for the large handicap yachts during Clyde Week. The heavily embossed sterling silver trophy was first engraved “Royal Northern Yacht Club Corinthian Regatta 21 June 1890” and won by “May” owned by W.J. Chrystal. After World War II the trophy was known as the 8-Metre Points Trophy, raced for at the Royal Northern Regatta during Clyde Week.