Lara (originally Muffet) was designed by a well-known America’s Cup helmsman Shermann Hoyt in 1929, and built at the Nevins on City Island, New York for Mr. Henry Plant. In the 1940’s she was acquired by Mr. Frederic E, Camp, who renamed her as Lara. She stayed in the family for over three decades until sold to the Kings Maritime Academy in the early 1970’s. Later on Lara found a new home at the Royal Canadian Yacht Club in Toronto, and actively raced among the Lake Ontario fleet.
In 1993 Lara was aqcuired by the Rajala family to Helsinki, Finland, and continued to race her with a young family crew. Since then Lara has had extensive work done. Lara has also participated in many World Championships. In 2001 Lara transferred to the next generation, when Julia Rajala took over. Also her children have sailed on Lara since they were born. In Scandinavia most eights have traditionally been a family affair. Though primarily a racer, Lara has has been fitted with a 18hp diesel engine, four bunks, galley, toilet and two portable mahogany caskets for cruising gear, which makes her also suitable for cruising.